Monday, September 22, 2008

damien hirst

The first thing I noticed about Damien Hirst's art work was how unique it was. He incorporates live animals which are preserved. I guess I never realized how much art can range. It would be nice to be able to get into his head and experience what he was thinking when composing these pieces. Its interesting how he mixed science and art. I, personally, would of never thought of that, but I guess that is the beauty of art. I respect his work but I can not say that I would be interested in owning a piece of his. 

As an art minor I realize that everyone has their own perception of art. I am learning slowly how to appreciate art that I do not exactly care for. Damien Hirst is an example of an artist that I probably would not of recognized as an artist before this course. I would of just interpreted him as an scientist that was doing a project. 

The one painting, Butterflies and household gloss paint on canvas, made me realize all of this. Butterflies are my favorite and the fact that he used them in art work made me look at his shark piece in a different light. I incorporate butterflies in most of my art work and he has inspired me to look into other ways to use butterflies in my work.

I think that Damien's art work is kind of disturbing. I just can not imagine handling dead corps of animals. It just intense to think that he played around with the different organs and insides. But it is like a bad car accident. You do not necessarily want to see it but if it is in front of you there is not way you will not look. I respect him for that and it is crazy that is artwork raised millions of dollars. 

No comments: